Tuesday 3 March 2015

Stop moaning

The labour party are threatening to introduce legislation (if elected) to outlaw discrimination against 'poor' people....a whole world of craziness there then.The pic below is one I've shown before, it is of Liverpool's Byrom terrace in 1933.Many of the people in the pics will be family members and family friends as my family occupied several of the buildings shown, somewhere a baby grandma OTW is enjoying her recent arrival in our large family.The terrace was knocked down as a slum not long after and the family moved out to the green pastures of the now infamous Huyton, then a village now just another troublesome suburb.My point if there is one is that England is a great place and our family of immigrants was able in a couple of generations to survive and thrive in so many ways.I was never aware we were poor and I was never envious of the rich, just curious. We all live lives now so enriched (materially anyway) that the people in this pic would think us crazed and ungrateful for our opportunities....and they would be right.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

True

E-K said...

That was me.

I've never felt ungrateful for what I have. Just disappointed with myself and some of the choices I've made.

Choice can be the cause of unhappiness. Too many soaps or jams to choose from. Which quantities offer best value ?

Mad, isn't it ?

But that's the root of it all. People aren't jealous of what others have but feel inadequate for the poor choices they have made. And so they think that dragging winners back from the finishing line somehow makes their choices less bad.

Thud said...

Kev. if my kids turn out as smart as yours then that will be reward enough.

Vinogirl said...

Yup. What were miserable living conditions by today's standards were met with stoicism and the desire and drive to achieve a better life. Our grandparents got on with it and made the next generation's lives, and ours, eminently more comfortable.

NotClauswitz said...

While your ancestors were emigrating to the heart of the British Empire, mine were flung wide from Blighty onto other shores, to the Business of Empire in India, and further abroad...

Thud said...

NC. you should post on your family history.

NotClauswitz said...

Hmmmm...yeh I should, eh? :-)