Thursday 28 October 2010

The things we do.

On Tuesday I decided to take a journey down to Wisbech in Cambridgeshire to collect some chimney pots I had purchased on Ebay. Normally I would pay freight (when offered) but in this case the type of pots and price made me a tad sceptical as to their originality. So monkey and I set off at a very early hour to navigate what passes as a road system in todays Britain, something I usually try to avoid. What the sat nav said would be a 3 and a half hour journey ended up taking 2 hours longer and included endless teeth clenched encounters with lorries spraying so much road water that I may as well have made the journey in a submarine although the journey back via Rutland was quicker and much pleasanter. Upon arrival in the wind swept back of beyond I was greeted by a rather nice chap who upon unveiling the said pots gave me a full run down of their history and provenance, which lightened both my worries and my wallet. But what a set of pots! (yes, I get very excited by these things)..Royal Doulton at their best, and destined to give the main house a much needed aesthetic boost and worth going the extra mile for...430 extra miles in fact.

10 comments:

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

Oh look at those! Absolutely nmarvellous!

Journeys like that are worth a story, especially when you're a winner at the end of it!

Albert said...

That white van of yours must have been wheezing and blowing after carrying that weight back,spoke to some guy who spoke to some guy who has lots but won't part with them even for money,he also spoke to another guy who has a couple of pots but he got the same answer,are they being saved for a smokey day or am I missing someging.

monkey said...

ROAD TRIP!!

Vinogirl said...

They look fab!

Electro-Kevin said...

Now put flowers in them like every other bugger does.

NotClauswitz said...

That's about as nice as finding a set of NOS Colt WWII magazines! Woot!

Thud said...

DC....finding any colt part in Britain would cause a national emergency due to our gun hating government.
EK...only if you bloody well water them.

NotClauswitz said...

So sad the demise of Webley & Scott among others!

jim said...

They look sad

Locksmith NYC, Locksmith Manhttan affordable locksmith

phlegmfatale said...

I am in awe of your chimneypots! What a marvelous set. Very happy for your find, there. Can't wait to see them atop your grand house!