Monday 3 December 2012

Next


This building (shown on 1870 map as a bothy) has been much abused over time and has now reached the end of its usefulness. In the new year 90% of it will be coming down and a 30% larger house more in fitting with the other buildings on site will be my next task.The new house will feature much more detail externally with the inside being much more user friendly for my aged mother. Much of the stone and slate will be saved for  roofing on the new house (Welsh slate is unbeatable) and for the construction of a part stone built wood drying shed......so that's next year sorted then!

11 comments:

Albert said...

Those tree's still there, haven't they fallen for any tree diseases yet, like a nice belt driven chainsaw.

cheshire wife said...

It may have outlived its' use but it looks quite pretty.

Thud said...

C.W. its ghost will live on...from the porch backwards!

Electro-Kevin said...

Being able to provide for my parents.

Them wanting me to. Would be bliss.

Thud said...

Its a bit of a minefield but I couldn't live with myself if I didn't do the right thing.Plus time is precious and my little uns will be getting something money cant buy.

haddock said...

I've done plans to convert such bothies to modern habitations...they were common on Lincolnshire farms,,,cheaply constructed, minimum facilities and were used to house migrant workers...they were called 'Irish houses' by the locals there. They were usually placed 'within sight but out of earshot' I was told....in view of your ancestry I shall profess to not knowing why...could be something to do with their singing though.

Thud said...

Haddock...hard to argue with.

James Higham said...

Thought you were going to relax and enjoy this month?

Albert said...

James he is relaxing and enjoying this month, I beeped at him this morning and it gave him a 20 second rest/holiday as he waved at us or did he wave?, mmm thinking back?.

James Higham said...

That's all right then.

Vinogirl said...

I hope you keep the front porch/entrance similar.