Thursday 5 August 2010

fugly

Back in California after another great trip to Utah I spent some time just sight seeing in wine country,watching both the growing vines and emerging new builds. The house pictured above is one I have watched being built over the past year or so. Nestled against the hills of the Napa valley the emerging monstrosity is another example of too much money and little or no taste. Do these people not use architects? do they purposely ignore all universal concepts of symmetry,proportion and balance? As a firm believer in an individuals right to spend their money as they wish I find it a little contradictory to condemn somebody's efforts but houses on this scale in particular impact on the surrounding environment and its inhabitants by the nature of their physical bulk. Just a little past this house is another new build,one of a much more sympathetic nature and artful design (I'll illustrate in another post) so it is not as if the area is solely populated by lovers of these shopping mall style houses...thank goodness.

8 comments:

Old BE said...

It looks like one of those Barratt blocks of flats designed to look a little bit like big houses.

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

Know what you mean Thudders, but a bit of Early Argos does get into the systems beyond fooblers' pads now and then...

BTW, while walking JRT, I've just met a father and daughter from Utah in the churchyard behind us! I nearly asked them if they knew you, but that would have been a bit silly, as if I'd said' 'Oh, my chum Thud's in Utah on holiday at the moement', they'd have begun to take me for the village idiot...

Thud said...

Scrobs..people here ask me do I know their relatives in Englandshire!

James Higham said...

The answer is yes to all charges.

Vinogirl said...

It's the group of chimneys in the corner that gets my hackles up.

NotClauswitz said...

Where's all the Nuns? Actually a convent would have superior symmetry.

phlegmfatale said...

Ah, NABU.

My brother-in-law the architect dubbed this style New American Butt-Ugly. NABU.


It fits, yes?

Thud said...

Phlegmy..perfect, from now on NABU it is.