Monday 1 December 2008

Winters here.

We had the pleasure of the first real winter weather here on the Wirral these last few days.The weekend was frosty and foggy, a combination I would imagine some may dislike but I have to admit a love for such inclement weather. The sound of the foghorns on the river Mersey booming out their warning through the night reminds me of nights long ago spent in a little place by the river living in a single room with my mother and sisters....the sound of the foghorns outside made me feel warm and safe as we sought shelter from a then rather unpleasant life. It is strange and rather pleasant how a simple sound can trigger so many feelings and emotions. To enjoy the weather I took Princess OTW to see the sun set over the Welsh mountains whilst watching the flocks of waders fly in to their feeding beds on the Dee estuary. The picture shows the last moments as the thin winter sun flared momentarily before it surrendered to the winter evening and a rather chilly Family OTW headed home for a well earned snack of roasted chestnuts....not a bad day I think.

10 comments:

phlegmfatale said...

That is SO lovely!

Putz said...

something somewhere is sticking in my head mercy on the mersey...not mues on the mercy, no....mersheied on the mercy???????????

Thud said...

Putz...maybe its the song..."ferry across the Mersey"?

Trubes said...

Hello OTW:
Was that picture taken in Parkgate by chance?
We used to take our Daughters' there for shrimps and yummy home made ice creams.
I too remember the foghorns sounding on the Mersey when I was a child.
Happy Days!

Di.xx

Thud said...

Trubes...just up the coast a bit at Thursaston...I'm sure you have been there.I'm planning to take princess OTW for her first ride on the ferry before Christmas...i love the river!

Anonymous said...

How beautiful! For me, the sound of trains reminds me of my childhood. And the sound of playground swings is nice too. Whatever your circumstances were when you were young - aren't you glad your life is good now? :)

Thud said...

I am indeed!

Lord Roby said...

I dont know what it is about fog and foghorns that is so comforting.They are both dull, monochrome and monotone.But when you live them you never forget the feeling of security that seems to go hand in hand with them.There must be millions of people who haven't got a clue what this is all about!

James Higham said...

'Twas bloody cold.

Vinogirl said...

You've made me thoroughly homesick. I'm sure Lord Roby us feeling that too a bit nowadays.

It may have been a single room for us by the river...but we were all together and that's what was important.